Monday, March 12, 2007

Random Thoughts on Community
Reading some of the emerging church literature for college presents you with this kind of caricature contrast:
Inherited church= Meetings focus
Emerging church= Community focus

I guess things are not that simple in reality, and community was one of the strong values of the “house church” movement (UK 1970’s-80’s), as well as being an emphasis of the cell church people.
Anyway it got me thinking about community. Just this morning I was reminiscing about the community of my teenage years – like many teens it was a tight knit group hanging out.
Then at Uni the CU group was a great example of Christian community, sharing meals and lives.
Since then other youthworkers, colleagues and church in different ways has been places and expressions of community. Different things for different stages of life I guess.

Having a kind of “itinerant” ministry it can be easy to be disconnected. My natural inclination is to ask as to why other people are not looking me up, making sure I’m ok, praying for me etc., but then I ask myself how much am I doing that for others?

Anyway random thoughts – but authentic community seems to be something Christians (including myself) are often better at talking about than doing, whether your church is established or emerging.

And if you knew me from TVUCU or from youth and you stumble across this blog leave a comment or mail me – be great to hear from you!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

I think you've got a point - community gets talked about more than practiced. I like that the church I go to doesn't have a pastoral committee - part of it's ethos is that you have the responsibility to look after others in your house group - i suppose you do have to hope that it works tho...
PS I've blogrolled you :)

9:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home