Friday, May 11, 2007

Slain?
I'm currently looking at John 18 for a church on Sunday morning.
I read an interesting view on this verse: "When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground." (John 18:6).
It's probably not going to be a major point of the message, but one suggestion is that the "fell to the ground" was involuntary - a kind of "slain in the Spirit" experience. Is this reading too much into it, was it more of a fall in worship or fear?
I guess I'm looking to all you NT scholars to help here!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Tilley said...

If Jesus responded with 'I am' the Jewish members of the crowd would have heard the resounding call of Exodus 3 and the name of Yahweh (I am). I think it was the title they reverenced and Jesus' use of it here, and in other places, that cost him his life.

Lesley Newbigin's commentary 'The Light Has Come' is vey good on John.

11:23 pm  
Blogger Pete Lev said...

Thanks for the thoughts. As suspected that wasn't a major point of the message, but helpful to ponder!

7:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home