Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Giving up for lent?
Lent starts with Ash Wednesday tomorrow.
Traditionally people give things up (Fernando has some good thoughts here).
Hypothetically (because we know that fasting is supposed to be done without fuss), if someone gave up biscuits what counts? Twix (it has a biscuity centre)? Other chocolate bars? Crackers?
Jaffa Cakes (caked by name, but are they?).
This site seems to be the most helpful (great site name "nicecupofteaandasitdown.com").
I think I'll stick to their definition of biscuits:
  • They come in packets
  • They have two sides
  • You could dunk them in tea
Anyway I know that probably missed the serious business of lent, but I am concerned about when is a biscuit not a biscuit!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The definition that was used in a court case around V.A.T a few years ago was this:

If left over a period of time, biscuits go soft while cakes go hard.

QED

8:58 am  
Blogger Pete Lev said...

Nice - a legal precedent!
So Jaffa Cakes aren't biscuits!

2:23 pm  
Blogger Sarah Brush said...

Why not give up biscuits AND cake? That would solve it. I'm giving up computer games and found myself with similar questions: does that include mobile? what about AT youth club...?

5:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Ash Wednesday heads-up. The first folks I see with ashes every Ash Wednesday always take me by surprise. I would rather know ahead of time that I am going to see folks with dirt on their foreheads looking completely oblivious.

10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home