Thursday, January 25, 2007

Grumbling, Moaning and Cynicism
Stuart Murray made a humorous comment about whether there are any non-moaning post-evangelicals (sorry if that's a misquote Stuart!). Coupled with a few other things I've observed, it got me thinking about this issue!
I think Christians in the UK (that's the context I know), and especially leaders moan too much! There's far too much negativity and whining. It could be seemingly in jest, or a little comment about the deacons, or the members, or the preacher or the lecturer, but its rife and often unhelpful.
I admit to being guilty in this - and think my new late January resolution should be to cut it out!
There is a place for healthy (even holy) dissatisfaction and questioning. There is also a need for leaders to "let off steam" in a safe environment. But wasn't grumbling one of the major faults of the people of God in the desert after the Exodus?
So whether it's on the blogs, in conversation or wherever, maybe we should seek to build up and not tear down, to see the Kingdom as bigger than our personal preferences, and to generally be more positive!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! I sometimes think that Christian leaders particularly have a matyr complex - they almost revel in the fact that there's things to complain about, that they're so busy, that they're struggling through. It's a really easy trap to fall in to - sarcasm and cynicism are contagious and dangerous. Christians should be those who are free of these things for sure.

What it does do is make people hardened to when there is geniune cause for frustration sharing, when things are really difficult for someone else. If we spend all our time talking about how this or that is wrong and difficult then when something really is serious, then it belittles what we're saying!

5:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the prompt Pete.

You've been really positive this week at Cliff, which has certainly been an encouragement to me!

8:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently finished reading one of the missional/emerging books everyone is talking about and it left me feeling pretty bleak. The book was relentlessly negative and deeply cynical.

Instead of motivating me to get more missional, it actually motivated me to change my writing style for the blog and speaking style as well.

I think you are really onto something!

12:25 am  
Blogger Lou Davis said...

You're right, it's very easy to get into a good moan without really realising it, just going along with the flow. I've been trying, often unsuccessfully, to cut it out too.

7:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home