Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Imports
This morning I had a conversation with some people on the bus (yes that is unusual in London!).
They were older Australian tourists asking me where to get off for Piccadilly. The lady sat next to me had been to London 20 years ago, and now they were back on some kind of tour - they'd been in Italy and tomorrow off to Dubai. Anyway, the lady asked me how long I'd been in London, and told me how difficult it was to find people who spoke English! She then said how she felt London had gone "down hill" and feared Australian cities may go that way. "It's all these imports" she said, "they have a different way of life". Of course she meant immigrants. I tried to suggest that they brought something life affirming to the city, but she wasn't having it. Sad really.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad but true...

...and some people down under still try to deny there is a racism problem.

10:49 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home