Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Sinner or winner - ASBO?

So he's called Phil (not Terry as some sources said), and I've featured him before here.
He's a London legend, with his witty "sinner or winner" preaching.
But Westminster Council's not so sure and have applied for an ASBO (anti social behaviour order) to stop him!
BBC story here.
I'm guessing the problem is his amplification - megaphone or recently an amp and mic.
Whatever you think about him and his style (Andrew has blogged about him before - in fact I think I stole this pic. from him!), this surely has implications for freedom of speach and public preaching, which are very concerning.

Update:
So he got the ASBO and can't use amplification to preach. More here


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

Freedom of speech works both ways; one with the ability to give or not give it and two with the ability to listen or not listen to it. Speakers corner exists for a reason.

This guy gives a bad face to preaching and religion. His messages were limited and without any real foundation - I once asked him for an explanation as to why he called me "evil" and he brought out a book with cut outs of Star Wars characters depicting characters from the bible. I was Darth Vader. Luke was Jesus making Jesus the son of the devil.

He has been a royal pain for the past 7-8 years that I've been visiting London. Good riddance. If he wants to get his views across there are better ways of doing it - such as this blog, if people want to learn they can visit.

He gives a bad name to religion and he clearly has something mentally wrong with him. They've done him a favour.

Jack Wallington

8:39 pm  
Blogger Pete Lev said...

I concede he is a bit of a wacko.
And probably does Christians no favours.
But there's something about the fact he could be there that seems important. But maybe its because I've never been picked on for a verbal onslaught...

9:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home