Friday, May 05, 2006

Urban Worship?
A recurring conversation around London church youthworkers is about finding worship materials/music/resources that connect with urban young people. Some do connect with the Soul Surivor/Hillsong United style stuff, others respond to Noel Robinson & gospely influenced stuff, and interactive elements from the alt.worship/chill out scene work too, but there seems to be a gap.

A few years ago I heard some guys strip down some tracks, end up with some beats and sing worship over the top, which was cool. But I come across very few of these experiments. Where are those using hip-hop, r'n'b, grime, beats for corporate worship? Where is the urban sound fit for the heavenly city?

6 Comments:

Blogger Larraine said...

totally not my cup of tea, but check these guys out.....

10:20 pm  
Blogger oncoffee said...

my sense is that you'll not find a single style... be eclectic!

2:18 pm  
Blogger Pete Lev said...

Thanks!
I guess most youthworkers are doing some eclectic "pick n mix".
But I know there must be some good stuff "out there", that others could learn some. I know because I've had glimpses.

Just this Saturday I was at an event where worship was led by a seriously cool youth choir, who also did a couple of gospely r 'n'b tracks which were fantastic.

3:31 pm  
Blogger Pete Lev said...

Thanks Tim, good point. So often it comes down to economics!

11:13 pm  
Blogger Larraine said...

There's yellow?

9:05 am  
Blogger Pete Lev said...

Yes I wondered about the yellow!

6:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home