Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Reading Scripture as a whole
Recently my home church has been doing a series on “Listening to God” and looking at various genres of Biblical literatures. It gave me an excuse to use an old school Bible Bookcase image!
The pastor is on sabbatical so I got to do 3 of these on Old Testament themes: history, wisdom and prophecy.

With that fresh in my mind and listening to some stuff (not least some of the revivalist stuff around Lakeland) I was struck by how Christians either ignore the OT or get really into it. It’s not an original thought (I may even have been taught it at Spurgeons) but it is amazing how much “leftfield” teaching and biblical justification for stuff is based on the OT, and often without reference to (or interperting in light of) Jesus and the NT.

You can see that in everything from prosperity teaching to liberation theology. And it seems to me a lot of “anointing”, “glory”, “presence”, "impartation" stuff that is popular in the revivalist circles is very OT, without acknowledging the difference the coming of Christ and the outpouring of the Spirit at Pentecost makes. Seems to me the Epistles place little emphasis on this stuff (and yes I know it is there a bit e.g. 2 Tim 1:6), and more on faithfulness to Christ and the church living out the gospel.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog! God Bless you

2:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home