Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Assignment Complete
I posted the essay off yesterday - so its out of my hands and now at the mercy of the postal system!
Was interesting thinking through the issues of inculturation and contextualisation. Seems to me that there are 2 common responses I hear from people (and in some of the literature): one is fear, sometimes driven by a conservative theology, but often I think fear of change, of not being "sound". The other is the opposite, which results in almost an obsession with relevance and fitting "my culture" that we lose sight of the church's call to be a distinctive community. I agree with those who say that the church should be odd, but that has to be because we're shaped by the gospel rather than just out of touch!
I think one thing we're (me too) often bad at is listening. Its probably an under used part of mission!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home