Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Backup!
I've always felt XP was pretty good as an OS. Never wanted to get all Mac(y).
But backing up is essential as I discovered today!

This morning every time I got to the login screen I got a re-start message and couldn't log in.
Tried everything I knew, no luck.

So I ran the "PC Angel" utility and tried the "Non-destructive restoration" option (sounded safe!), but still no luck. So I had to run a more severe option through that software, basically a re-install of Windows, with a back up of data.
Well all is well again now - but it was pain to have to re-install all the software (and track down those product keys). All my documents/media files etc. were fine, (I had a recent back up anyway). It seems, however, I've lost my e-mails (sorry if you contacted me and I didn't reply!), and only managed to save contacts and diary via my PDA. (I'm sure its was backed up here somewhere!).
Anyway the moral of the story is "if you think you are standing firm be careful you don't fall!" (1 Cor 10:12)

update: seems PC Angel did good, all the files were backed up nicely, and nothing is lost. Phew! Lets hope that doesn't happen again!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jess said...

Norton do a nice program called GoBack, which you can run during boot up and restore your computer to an earlier restore point, normally within the last 48 hrs. It's saved my neck a few times!

10:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home