Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Emerging church - movement?
I've had some conversations around emerging church/new expressions etc. and people finding it hard to pin down.
My definition: Attempts to do mission and incarnate church in the transitioning, emerging culture (did I forget the "P" word - postmodern?).

Andrew Jones is asking "is emerging church a movement"? He includes some helpful definitions/observation from Dr Paul Pierson on historical renewal and revival movements.
His deinitions include theological breakthoughs, changing strucures, recontextualisation of the message etc.
I'm reminded of a post from the my brother on this blog
which suggested that perhaps at the moment the emerging church lacks a distinctive internal spiritual dynamic. Not sure if I agree but its food for thought!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home