Thursday, July 08, 2004

Several bloggers (e.g. Jonny , and Andy) have mentioned Doug Paggit's Reimagining Spiritual Formation.
I'm due to be speaking on "Authentic Christian Discipleship" on Sunday evening, so thought it would be a good time to look at that for myself. And so far I have found it to be very helpful. Its very honest, and yet raises key issues about whole life discipleship and real community life - issues that many churches seem not to hit effectively. The difference is that rather than talk about such issues in theory, they are grounded in experience and comments from "real" church members (even negative ones which is cool).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pete, hope you're enjoying Paggit's book. I've nearly finished it and, as you say, it is very good. The thing it's highlighted for me is that the glue that holds the church together (theologically this is God of course!)is the people and not the programmes they've set up. The programmes serve the people.
What's it highlighting to you?
Andy
andyandshona.blogs.com

2:18 pm  
Blogger Pete Lev said...

I agree. Discipleship (or "formation") must be more than education. I like the down to earth, community feel - lots of eating and chatting rather than "meetings" in a more formal sense.

9:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home